Sunday, August 14, 2005

A spectacular storm the other day. I was taking the train straight across Germany, and for the last three hours of the trip lightning flashed large on the horizon every few minutes, but there was no thunder, and it didn't seem to be raining. When I arrived the lightning was still flashing, but still no thunder, and no rain. I settled down and had dinner. "When thunder does come, it'll be ear-splitting, and last minutes, to make up for these hours of silence," I thought. It was warm & people were sitting at outdoor tables. Around midnight, within the space of one minute, the wind rose and the heavens opened. People barely had time to save their drinks. I raced two blocks and got soaked. My room faced onto an airshaft, and when I opened the window the noise was so loud it was like being under a waterfall.
The next morning, a harvest of tree branches, and even a couple of trees.
(I suspect this is the sort of thing that's really not that interesting to read, but I wrote it anyway because I like remembering it — it was so dramatic.)

No comments: