Sunday, August 14, 2005

I can't stop thinking about my students. Once I handed out the Indo-European family tree to my Saturday fifth graders. "Hey look, Anisha! There's Gujarati!" said Viren, whose family is from Gujarat. He and Anisha are the only Indian-American students in the class. All the other students are Korean-American, and I suppose felt a bit left out. Patrick suggested, "The Korean word for bread is pan. Do you think there's a connection?" I had to tell him that Korean is almost universally considered a language isolate (unless it has some relation to Japanese, but even that is disputed). But bless him for suggesting the word for bread and not, say, computer, or satellite. (I can't believe I didn't ask them for one, two, three, mother, father in Korean and Gujarati. I'll do that in the fall.)

No comments: