Saturday, March 31, 2007

A two-part anecdote:

Last spring my supervisor (one of them) left a message on my voicemail: "You should read your student evaluations, which were very positive. I always read them after a term is over — it's heartening."
In spite of this friendly encouragement, I was too afraid to read them. (Asking one of the secretaries to find my file seemed, conveniently, like an imposition.)

Then last October I was in the computer room and happened to read this entry "On being observed." In the sixth paragraph White Bear begins to describe "That One Bad Evaluation." It sounded like every single evaluation I got in the PGCE. For example: "She went on to give advice like how to turn all my difficult, open-ended questions into yes-or-no questions. She said I should make each of them "especially those immigrant kids" give a response to one question per class, going around the room. She said I shouldn't read aloud... "
By the time I finished reading the entry I was shaking. "I must see those evaluations!" I thought, and raced up the stairs. But both the secretaries were out to lunch. As I dashed past my pigeonhole I noticed something. What's this? A big envelope. I sat on the floor and poured out its contents. The first thing I saw was a smiley face. ("Do you have any additional comments?") Then I read them. They were good. They really were. In one class all the students (as if by agreement) had ended their evaluations with "I [heart] her!" I nearly wept with gratitude and relief.
(I still can't believe the coincidence.)
I know, according to the observer, it doesn't matter what students think. But it does, of course.

I wonder how many positive evaluations it will take to undo the damage of the PGCE.

No comments: