Thursday, February 8, 2007

Scene on a subway:

The other day a man came into my subway car, stood silently as the train swung out of the station (but I knew he was going to speak) and then started telling us his story. A skilled construction worker, he had come from Vermont with his wife and child looking for work. He hadn't known, however, that to work on a construction site in New York you have to belong to a union. He didn't have forty-five days (he didn't elaborate, but apparently this is some requirement for union membership), so he enrolled in a course for security guards, with guaranteed job placement. His first day at work was the next day, but he needed $33 to finish paying for the course. If he didn't come up with the money, he would lose the job and his down payment. He hated doing this; he would be glad to show us the documents.
I have to say, I found this pretty convincing. The long pause before beginning (which spoke of reluctance), the wealth of detail, his appearance (he looked like someone from Vermont) — I believed him. I wasn't the only one. Sitting across from me was a red-haired man who contribued $20 to the cause. After thanking him effusively, the petitioner asked, "Can I show you the documents?" "Don't worry about it. I liked your spiel." The next person gave him $15. And here an argument ensued: "That's two dollars more than I need! Let me see if I can get you change." "Keep it, man! Buy yourself a coffee!" "I can't believe it! I haven't cried since the day my mother died!" He stayed on for many more stops, the whole while exchanging views with Ms Fifteen Dollars on how to make the world a better place: "If only people would…" "Just a little more trust…" "Jeez, wait till my wife hears! She didn't want me to do this!" And: "I still feel like throwing up. I can't believe I did this." And: "I was hoping someone would challenge me, so I could show the documents." And he described a conversation he'd had with the course supervisor, who turned down his request to deduct the $33 from his first paycheck. Everyone was listening and smiling
The fact that he stayed on the train for six more stops added to his credibility — he wasn't looking for a new audience.

No comments: