Wednesday, March 2, 2005

One purpose of this blog is to find people, preferably in New York, who might be willing to talk about books. Here's a list of the books I've read since September:

Fall 2004

The Bunner Sisters (Wharton)
Homage to Catalonia (Orwell)
Summer (Wharton)
Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci (Spence)
Death Comes for the Archbishop (Cather)
The Irresponsible Self (Wood)
Reunion (Uhlman)
Nedda, Vita dei Campi (Verga)
Odyssey (Homer)
Song of Solomon (Morrison)
Wind in the Willows (Grahame)
What's the Matter with Kansas? (Frank)


Winter 2005

January:
Journey by Moonlight (Szerb)
The Westing Game (Raskin)
La letteratura e gli dei (Calasso)
Age of Revolution: 1789-1848 (Hobsbawm)
Tom Sawyer (Twain)
The Penguin History of the USA (Brogan)

February:
Tom Brown's Schooldays (Hughes)
Oedipus Rex (Sophocles)
Oedipus at Colonus
Antigone
Ajax
Philoctetes

Just because they're on the list doesn't mean I liked them. Once I took out Song of Solomon on the subway, and a woman leaned over to say "I loved that book!" I'm all for sharing opinions on the subway, but I didn't want to get into an argument with a stranger, so I just smiled and nodded. I LOATHED that book, couldn't believe how bad it was...
So if you've read any of these books and would like to talk about them, drop me a line.

No comments: